http://bergman-udl.blogspot.ca/2014/07/4-ways-to-engage-students-with-todays.html
Group A had the opportunity to "meet" in a virtual meeting using TodaysMeet. I really enjoy using this tool. It's easy to use and allows the organizer to PDF the transcript. I feel we had a great discussion. Everyone was able share their problems of practice and receive feedback from our colleagues. What a great opportunity to "hear" my colleagues' thoughts, ideas and perspectives. It's always a relief to hear that others are experiencing similar roadblocks, and challenges working through their inquires. Our group engaged in discussion effortlessly and the conversation seemed to flow easily from one topic to the next.
My group raised some good questions which made me realize that reaching my distal goal will take a very long time. Changing culture within a program area or department, that seems to be stuck in a storming cycle, may be more challenging than I originally thought. My group suggested that I provide a framework for faculty/staff to follow which will support my notion that critical reflection is an effective way to raise self awareness and evoke change. I will continue to research Brookfield's strategies that speak to reflective practices.
One thing that really resonates with me is how I feel about my original problem. A few short weeks ago I was stumped and discouraged about the situation in my workplace. All I could think about was making things better for staff and students. Now, after working through my inquiry, I am seeing this problem in a new light. Identifying my giant problem, through my SRL inquiry, was the first step to raising self awareness of my own leadership skills and considering my own thoughts and feelings about the problem. At this point I am not so fixated on the giant problem anymore, but how incremental change can and will affect the team and subsequently students.

No comments:
Post a Comment